Staff Design Engineer
Do you have a passion for pixel-perfect web UI designs, solving design problems at scale, and building complex tools? Adobe Design is seeking a Staff Design Engineer to join our engineering team—focusing on contributing and building implementations of the Spectrum design system, one of the most well-respected design systems in the world. We bridge design and technology, providing Adobe with tools, infrastructure, and services that enable design consistency across a range of products. You will help web product teams build with Spectrum-based Web Components, using design data to ensure implementation accuracy.
These components are used across multiple products. Senior team members participate in key planning activities, such as feature discovery, system architecture, requirements definition, project scope, and delivery. Overall, this role has direct ownership and plays a key role in ensuring Spectrum is available for our customers in a timely, stable, and scalable way.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the Spectrum design team to ensure Spectrum's aesthetic is built into implementation libraries while maintaining an idiomatic API for library consumers.
- Understand and derive data from designs, map data to clear abstractions, and integrate that design data into Spectrum implementations using patterns expected by product web developers.
- Partner with internal product teams to define, build, support, and validate implementations of Spectrum in Adobe’s products.
- Work with various toolsets and teams to understand design’s requirements and communicate engineering concerns back to design.
- Assist in the discovery and delivery of fixes needed for Spectrum implementation gaps
- Contribute to the open-source Spectrum projects—including Spectrum CSS and Spectrum Web Components.
What you need to succeed
- Specialist understanding of building performant and complex web UI using multiple frameworks, build tools, and experience with TypeScript.
- Deep experience and flexibility around CSS architecture and practices, such as pre- and post processors, cross-browser concerns, layout, responsive design, and animation (5+ years)
- Extensive experience with web UI implementation, ideally having direct experience with the web components standards, Lit-based components, or related aspects of that ecosystem. (5+ years)
- Experience building libraries, frameworks, or SDKs used by other developers
- Experience building responsive components for mobile web
- Solid knowledge of the Node.js ecosystem and npm package development (2+ years)
- Experience with git and GitHub, the process of contribution to open source development, and performing peer code reviews
- Solid understanding of Web accessibility practices, standards, and testing methods
- Practice working closely with designers, including a strong understanding of how to convert a design into code
- A pragmatic, collaborative and open-minded outlook, and a high degree of comfort working in a fast-paced environment
- Practice with open development, collaborative code reviews, and providing detailed feedback to other team members
- Comfortable driving improvements to overall library architecture, testing processes, and external integrations
- Familiarity with the concepts behind design systems and how they are being applied in product development
- Hands-on usage of build, test, and release methods; such as compilers, linting, CI/CD tooling, software testing and validation techniques, and modern dev-ops practices
- Experience building components with other web frameworks (e.g. React)
- Experience working with partners to advise product roadmap planning
- BS Degree in computer science is preferred or equivalent practical experience
How to apply
To be considered for this role, please submit a resume. Include examples of work you feel demonstrates you have the skills needed to succeed.
Adobe is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, race or color, ethnicity or national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law. Learn more.
Adobe aims to make Adobe.com accessible to any and all users. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation to navigate our website or complete the application process, email email@example.com or call (408) 536-3015.
Adobe values a free and open marketplace for all employees and has policies in place to ensure that we do not enter into illegal agreements with other companies to not recruit or hire each other’s employees.